What is the purpose of networking?
Power Prospecting through Networking
The purpose of networking is the exchange of information, advice, and referrals, using the method of asking questions and not telling.
WHAT IS NETWORKING? –
Networking is the exchange of information and ideas among people with a common profession or special interest, usually in an informal social setting.
Top 5 Networking Tips
- Join the right organizations.
- Be Choosy.
- Be selective about where you network. Of course, there are some obvious places that make sense; the chamber, a trade organization, a charity volunteer opportunity and a leads group. Our chamber has great ones and there is also organizations like BNI that are excellent and set up just for that.
- Set Goals. Go to a networking event with a purpose. Always set goals when you are networking. I would recommend setting up just one or two Strategic Alliances at each event.
- Understanding what a Strategic Alliance. A strategic alliance is a person who represents a company that you either call on the same clients or similar clients but don’t compete with each other. This is your true purpose when you are networking. NOT selling!
- Let Google do the work! Google does lots of great things. One of the best ones for salespeople is Google Alerts. You need to have a Gmail account and when you do go to ALERTS. List all that you would like to learn about and let google send you that information daily. Some examples- Your top clients and prospects, information about the industries you sell into, your competitors, etc. This is a great way to stay in front of your clients and prospects without just sending them stuff about you!